A patient’s emotional well-being is an essential part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Mental health issues can affect how well an individual functions during day-to-day activities and can affect physical health by:
- Interfering with the ability to consistently take medications
- Making it harder to keep appointments
- Interfering with healthy activities, such as getting enough sleep, adequate nutrition and exercise
- Increased likelihood of risk behaviors
- Impaired ability to cope with the stresses of every day life
If you feel that something is different or might be “wrong,” it’s important to tell your doctor or healthcare provider—including a nurse or case manager.
The Specialty Care Clinic offers mental health and substance abuse assessments and referrals to mental health providers, as needed.