About the Specialty Care Clinic
Information on Local Resources, Please Visit AIDS Athens -
In 2001, the Northeast Health District HIV Primary Care Clinic
was funded through a Ryan White Care Act Early Intervention Services Grant # 6
H76 HA 00720-01-01, and the support of the Georgia Division of Public Health to
meet the health care needs of adults with HIV/AIDS. The clinic opened in
The Specialty Care Clinic will accept patient referrals from a variety of
sources including private physicians, AIDS Athens, county health departments/HIV
testing sites, and local hospitals. Referrals are accepted by phone, fax or
written referral forms. Self-referrals are accepted. Patients are admitted to
the clinic by appointment. Any HIV positive persons residing in the Northeast
Health District counties of Barrow, Clarke, Elbert, Greene, Jackson, Madison,
Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe or Walton are eligible for services. Patients must
provide proof of a positive HIV antibody test, their name, address, phone
contact information and proof of income. The Specialty Care Clinic services are
highly confidential, but not anonymous.
The Specialty Care Clinic provides specialized outpatient
primary care and referrals for the HIV patient. We do this in an optimum
facility where most services are under one roof. Our care is based on the
principles of confidentiality, accessibility, comprehensiveness, health
promotion and consumer satisfaction. Our goal is to empower our patients to make
good decisions about their own care to promote health and well-being.
Health Care Team
The health care team at the Specialty Care Clinic has been
extensively trained to provide excellent care in the area of HIV/AIDS. Services
available include those of infectious diseases specialists, a family nurse
practitioner, registered nurses, social workers, nutritionist and others that
are fully qualified in their positions. An infectious diseases specialist serves
as the medical director for the Specialty Care Clinic.
1. Infectious diseases specialty care provided by contract with
Gwinnett Infectious Diseases Specialists.
2. Primary care medical services including the following:
A. Medical Examinations
B. Pap smears every 6 months
C. TB skin testing
D. Regular lab work drawn on site
E. Hepatitis A & B immunizations
F. Pneumonia vaccine as needed
G. Yearly flu vaccines
H. Evaluation and treatment for acute care on site, such as: sinusitis,
urinary tract infection, diarrhea and medication dispensation.
3. Nurse Practitioner and RN Specialists trained in HIV care on
4. Confidential HIV testing, and pre- and post -test counseling for partners.
5. Financial assistance for primary and specialty care per Ryan White Care
6. Nutritional assessment, education and counseling and dispensing of
nutritional supplements as indicated.
7. Mental Health and substance abuse assessment, treatments and counseling
8. Specialty Care referrals including dental care (cleanings,
fillings, x- rays), obstetrics, x-rays and dermatology with payment for services
if financially eligible.
9. Public assistance referrals through the Department of Family and Children's
10. Case Management Services. All patients will be assigned to a case manager
for assessment, care planning/coordination and support.
11. Access to AIDS Drug Assistance Programs (ADAP) and Pharmacy Assistance
Programs (PAP). For those patients meeting financial eligibility guidelines.
Medication adherence assessment and education is provided.
12. Assistance with transportation for medical care for those patients meeting
financial eligibility guidelines.
13. Patient education on HIV. HIV second transmission prevention and risk
reduction, treatments and anti- retroviral medications and treatment plan
14. Patient referrals to social services providers for assistance with housing,
utilities, food banks, patient support groups and patient educational programs
Appointments and Hours of Operations
Patients are seen by appointment on Monday-Friday; however,
patients may be seen on an emergency basis Monday- Friday. If patients have an
emergency, they are encouraged to phone the office before they come.
Hours of Operation
Monday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Tuesday 8:30 AM - 6:30 PM
Wednesday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Thursday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Friday 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Payment of Services
1. Payment for all services is on a sliding fee scale based on
the patient's income and
Ryan White eligibility.
2. Patients must provide proof of income semi-annually, and also when income and
family size changes in order to maintain eligibility for Ryan White funded
3. Medicare, Medicaid and some private insurance accepted.
Please call for directions to our office in Athens,
Toll Free: 877-807-6260