In 2001, the Northeast Health District HIV Primary Care Clinic was funded through a Ryan White Care Act Early Intervention Services Grant # 6 H76 HA 00720-01-01, and the support of the Georgia Division of Public Health to meet the health care needs of adults with HIV/AIDS. The clinic opened in February 2002.
The Specialty Care Clinic will accept patient referrals from a variety of sources including private physicians, AIDS Athens, county health departments/HIV testing sites, and local hospitals. Referrals are accepted by phone, fax or written referral forms. Self-referrals are accepted. Patients are admitted to the clinic by appointment. Any HIV positive persons residing in the Northeast Health District are eligible for services. Patients must provide proof of a positive HIV antibody test, their name, address, phone contact information and proof of income. The Specialty Care Clinic services are highly confidential, but not anonymous.
The Specialty Care Clinic provides specialized outpatient primary care and referrals for the HIV patient. We do this in an optimum facility where most services are under one roof. Our care is based on the principles of confidentiality, accessibility, comprehensiveness, health promotion and consumer satisfaction. Our goal is to empower our patients to make good decisions about their own care to promote health and well-being.
- Infectious diseases specialty care provided by contract with Gwinnett Infectious Diseases Specialists
- Nurse Practitioner and RN Specialists trained in HIV care on site
- Confidential HIV testing, and pre- and post -test counseling for partners
- Financial assistance for primary and specialty care per Ryan White Care
- Nutritional assessment, education and counseling and dispensing of nutritional supplements as indicated
- Mental Health and substance abuse assessment, treatments and counseling services available
- Specialty Care referrals including dental care (cleanings, fillings, x- rays), obstetrics, x-rays and dermatology with payment for services if financially eligible
- Public assistance referrals through the Department of Family and Children’s Services
- Case Management Services (All patients will be assigned to a case manager for assessment, care planning/coordination and support.)
- Access to AIDS Drug Assistance Programs (ADAP) and Pharmacy Assistance Programs (PAP) (For those patients meeting financial eligibility guidelines. Medication adherence assessment and education is provided.)
- Assistance with transportation for medical care for those patients meeting financial eligibility guidelines
- Patient education on HIV (HIV second transmission prevention and risk reduction, treatments and anti- retroviral medications and treatment plan adherence.)
- Patient referrals to social services providers for assistance with housing, utilities, food banks, patient support groups and patient educational programs and socials
Primary care medical services including the following:
- Medical Examinations
- Pap smears every 6 months
- TB skin testing
- Regular lab work drawn on site
- Hepatitis A & B immunizations
- Pneumonia vaccine as needed
- Yearly flu vaccines
- Evaluation and treatment for acute care on site, such as: sinusitis, urinary tract infection, diarrhea and medication dispensation
Health Care Team
The health care team at the Specialty Care Clinic has been extensively trained to provide excellent care in the area of HIV/AIDS. Services available include those of infectious diseases specialists, a family nurse practitioner, registered nurses, social workers, nutritionist and others that are fully qualified in their positions. An infectious diseases specialist serves as the medical director for the Specialty Care Clinic.
Cost for Services
Payment for all services is on a sliding fee scale based on the patient’s income and
Ryan White eligibility. Patients must provide proof of income semi-annually, and also when income and family size changes in order to maintain eligibility for Ryan White funded services.
Medicare, Medicaid and some private insurance is accepted.
Specialty Care Clinic
700 Sunset Dr, Suite 501
Athens, GA 30606
Last Updated on October 22, 2018